The battle at belmont

The Battle at Belmont Affiliation] Introduction This is a book edited by Greg Schroeder . As explained in the book, on November 7, 1861, Ulysses Grant’s first civil War took place in Missouri. Grant confronted an Allied camp at Belmont, Mo and started down the route that would finally lead him to be chosen General-in-Chief of the Union Army and voted to the presidency in 1868.
On November 5, 1861, the commander of the Department of Missouri Major General John C. Fremont ordered Grant who was the Brigadier general of the U. S, and Brigadier general C. F. Smith, the commander of the union forces at Paducah to stage a demonstration against Leonindas Polk Confederate general to stop undertaking of strengthening from Polk to Sterling price and Thompson in Missouri (Hughes, 1991).
On the evening of the sixth, Grant boarded two brigades summing to 3114 men on Cairo’s river transport and Bird’s point, and proceeded down the river a distance of about 8 miles. Later that night Grant received an information about Confederates crossing at Columbus with the intended plans to censor off Colonel Oglesby’s stake, when asked about that , excuse was given that Ogleby’s had left just to try play Jeff Thompsons rebel force and got to be around Indian Ford on the St. Francis.
This book also explains how the gunboats opened the battle, and explains the involvement of Colonel James C. Tappan who was a democrat and served as a judge in 1861, Augustus C. Watsons, a wealthy planter who organized an artillery company of New Orleans, and Major general Polk who found Tappan at the riverbank looking for a boat to transport him back across the river (Hughes, 1991). Later after the gunboats actions with the battery’s parrot guns burst which executed two and hurt three, Tappan and Beltzhoover deployed their minor forces in defense of the two streets which were approaching the Belmont landing and Grant shown as the under cover of the gun boats.
It also explains the actions of the Confederates left, Brigadier General Pillow reached at front line of Tappan’s on the Belmont claiming that he didn’t get sufficient time to deploy his line before assailed by the Federals. Though the Pillows deployment is explained to have been awkward.
The actions of the Confederate right, they progressed no good, however being better displayed from the position of both terrain and intersection. Tappan saw Russell deploying for the progress and ordering his command headfirst, and enforced Tappan to charge to 70 yards before Russell ran out of ammunition. After the Russell’s command discharged to the river bank, the Arkansans tied up in a fire fight for about half an hour, yet fell back 150 yards. Tappan regime was later overtaken by Polk regime and ordered back to the river (Hughes, 1991).
The book also explains how the Confederate counterattacked . Pillow commanded Marks to attack the enemy’s flank with Colonel Russell’s giving a backup. This led to a burning fire fight for approximately one and a half hours which lastly resulted to breaking off the bluecoats. Cheatham commanded to cross the river but determined to postpone the overpass until the battery could be muzzled as they cross the steam boat
Hughes, N. C. (1991). The Battle of Belmont: Grant strikes South. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press.